This is a guest post by Rebecca Nolan of Wild and Bare Co.
Health benefits, low levels of caffeine, a soothing, natural taste… this is what defines the king of Chinese tea, pu-erh. With a divine aroma and a rich exquisite taste, pu-erh tea is one of the most obsessed-over and sought-after teas in the world.
The healing factor…
Commonly known as the medicinal tea, pu-erh has been popular among Chinese for more than 1,700 years. This tea is collected from old tea trees growing in the wild—trees that have special potency. The leaves are steeped and fermented to yield a woodsy taste. The healing and medicinal properties associated with pu-erh tea are truly amazing. Pu-erh reputedly possesses strong Qi (“life energy”) that improves blood circulation in the body. This characteristic helps the body remove toxins and has the ability to cure slight aches and pains as well.
Pu-erh is strongly believed to contain compounds that help slow aging, control diabetes, remove toxins that promote dysentery, prevent heart disease and cancer, aid digestion and control weight, improve eyesight, reduce inflammation and revitalize people suffering from over consumption of alcohol.
The aging process of pu-erh tea…
Aging of pu-erh tea leaves is a special process. The leaves are molded into cakes, called moachas, and allowed to ferment. In the early years, these cakes were stored for more than 100 years. Aging methods are faster now using a modern fermentation procedure. First, the leaves are moistened and then turned, splashed with water and covered with a cloth daily for up to 40 days. Next, the leaves are pressed into a moacha. The fermentation that occurs comes from bacteria and fungus performing their magic on the tea leaves.
Below are some health beliefs commonly associated by tea enthusiasts with pu-erh tea:
- Drinking purple pu-erh tea leaves can reduce glucose levels in the blood stream.
- Drinking the tea effectively reduces hypertension.
- Drinking cooked pu-erh tea can reduce phlegm and flu. The older the tea, the more effective it is.
- Pu-erh tea can reduce cholesterol. (One must drink it daily for at least three months for the tea to be effective.)
- It can assist with weight loss.
- Pu-erh tea can reduce acidity in the body.
- Development of certain cancer cells can be slowed.
- The tea contains antiseptic properties for washing open wounds with tea liquor.
- Drinking pu-erh tea can clean and clear liver fat.
Today, we are continuously fighting the toxicity of our daily surroundings and our potentially polluted food. Drinking pu-erh tea is a great way to get rid of free radicals within the body, lower cholesterol and blood pressure, fight cancer, and perhaps look a little younger with every cup.
This is my new favorite that I’ve been drinking daily: Numi Organic Tea Emperor’s Puerh 16 Tea BagsPhoto Credit